Sunday, February 22, 2015

"Daddy, I'm bored."

Perhaps only those of you who are parents know the special sort of terror that comes when your child declares that he or she is bored.  Of course that declaration comes with the unspoken assumption that you will be the one that solves that particular problem.

We all have different ways of coping with our children's boredom.  Mine is to tell my daughter stories.  When she was between the ages of 5 and 7, I'd send her on a Pokemon journey to befriend Pokemon and train them and lead them to battle.  These days the stories tend to involve ninja and samurai and planeswalkers (from Magic: The Gathering).

Not-so-coincidentally, my daughter is apparently the scenario-leader of her little group of friends; during recess, she's the one who comes up with the stories that they all play out.  If you're wondering whether this makes me proud, the answer is "yes".  Very much so.

You'll see the occasional blog entry relating to the above.  Sometimes it'll be because I think something's funny; sometimes because it makes me think; and sometimes it'll simply be because I want to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment